Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Fingers and Toes. Hope and a Prayer.

I just read an article over at QueerCents.com about the cost of infertility. Apparently, Nina and her partner have been trying to get pregnant for sometime and have spent over $42,000. Yikes. Now I see why Nadia was trying to pin me down this weekend. $42,000 in fertility treatments and sperm is definitely not an option for us. Nadia is the more grounded, practical one. The article cites Abigail Garner who recommends that couples agree on a financial cap early on.

I think that's easier said then done. Nadia wants to know how much I think we should spend on this process. She is not happy about the combination of mixing and injection needles lurking in our bedroom. I am pretty certain that our time to start using them will be this weekend. And neither one of us is really looking forward to pumping me up with medication.

Nadia wants to know when I will be prepared to stop the freaky science, but I could not answer her just yet. She definitely wants to have children but is not sure where we should draw the financial and emotional line. She is the non-bio mom, so I think it can be challenging for her to understand my burning need to give birth right now.

I can't give her an answer just yet, but I do have my fingers and toes crossed.

No comments: