Sunday, June 17, 2007

What is in a Name?

It took me forever to decide what to name this thing. I had all kinds of names, none of which were right. I wanted a name that would truely represent all that I am-- a partnered black queer trying to have a baby, but somehow they all seemed reductive. I wanted to be deep and simplistic at the same time. I wanted to pay homage to my ancestors and celebrate my heritage all within the simple confines of my blog name.

Some of the names I came up with include:
afrosis.blogspot.com
isishibiscus.blogspot.com (don't ask!)
queerconcepts.blogspot.com
queerwomaninsearchofmotherhood.blogspot.com
newworldqueerafricanmotherjourney.blogspot.com


Then after many months of consternation, Nadia came to me and said, how about 'Egg Drop'? I immediately liked it because it made me think of all of the time I have spent waiting for my egg to meet up with one of the millions of frozen sperm that I have had injected into my body twice a month. My life's time clock has been shifted to accommodate that tiny egg, and everything else has been framed by my new sense of being and time.

Like the eggs in an hour glass, these are the days of my life...

No comments: